CODE OF ETHICS
- NZKC Accredited Breeders should be familiar with and must adhere to the Animal Welfare (Dogs) Code of Welfare.
- NZKC Accredited Breeders will at all times ensure that all dogs under their care are properly housed, fed, watered and exercised and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
- NZKC Accredited Breeders will not breed from a Dog or Bitch before 12 months and have had all appropriate health checks done.
- NZKC Accredited Breeders will not breed from a Bitch over the age of 8 years at whelping, provision for dispensation with good cause shown prior to mating.
Good Cause: the breeder will need to show that there is benefit to the breed for performing the mating. Each case will be judged in its merit. Approval must be sought in advance of the mating being done.
- NZKC Accredited Breeders will not breed from father-daughter, mother-son or brother-sister; Brother-sister defined as same sire and dam, not necessarily the same litter, but not applying to half-brother/sister. Provision for a dispensation can be applied for with good cause shown. This approval must be sought prior to mating.
- The number of litters in a lifetime of a bitch should not exceed 4, except where a veterinarian has certified the fitness of the bitch for the mating and has provided a certificate of that opinion that is dated prior to the mating. The maximum number of litters allowable is 6 as per the Breeders Code of Ethics.
- A maximum number of litters from any bitch cannot exceed 2 in any 18 month period.
- NZKC Accredited Breeders will take care to ensure that when selling dogs there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will assist with re-homing of a dog if the circumstances change.
- NZKC Accredited Breeders will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the quality of the dog. They will provide information from a reputable source on the characteristics and properties of the breed to interested individuals.
- NZKC Accredited Breeders must make all reasonable efforts to ensure the genetic make-up of both the sire and dam will not result in an increase in the frequency or severity of known inherited disorders. (Animal Welfare (Dogs) Code of Welfare).
- NZKC Accredited Breeders will be at all times conscious of breeding for the improvement of the quality of the breed and/or working ability of the breed according to the breed standard.
- NZKC Accredited Breeders must make official copies of the results of mandatory parental health tests pertaining to the breed available to New Zealand Kennel Club and the purchaser.
- NZKC Accredited Breeders must disclose to the purchasers of their dogs any known inherited disorders that the puppy or adult dog may be predisposed to which may cause health and/or welfare problems during the dogs lifetime.(Animal Welfare (Dogs) Code of Welfare).
- NZKC Accredited Breeders shall not knowingly or recklessly misrepresent the New Zealand Kennel Club. The NZKC Accredited Breeder will provide reasonable post sales advice when required.